South Sydney Rabbitoh players, Aaron Gray and Dylan Walker, are still recovering after overdosing on painkillers.
Gray and Walker were rushed to hospital early Tuesday morning and admitted to intensive care.
The police are said to be investigating the incident. It has been suggested the pair shared their prescription painkillers, that were washed down with energy drinks, causing an allergic reaction provoking breathing difficulties and vomiting.
Gray, 20, and Walker, 21, were not believed to have consumed alcohol, the Rabbitoh’s chief executive John Lee said in the official statement.
The pair were prescribed the strong painkillers Oxycodone, an opiate-derived drug, and Tramadol, after post-season surgery. Walker had a hand injury and Gray required knee reconstruction.
The combination of painkillers and energy drinks caused unexpected side effects. Another person saw the pair were in trouble and phoned triple zero.
Channel Nine’s Danny Weidler claimed Gray’s chances of survival were looking very grim, with the medics warning there may have only been a “50-50” chance of survival.
This unfortunate event has put enormous pressure on the NRL to employ stricter regulations and monitoring of players taking prescription drugs. – Bonnie Baker.
Top photo from NAPARAZZI’s Flickr photostream.