Twenty-two Indian school children have died in Gandamal Village, on Tuesday, after eating a free lunch provided by the government.
The children, aged between 5 and 12, became violently ill soon after they ate meal which consisted of rice, lentils, soybeans and potatoes. The school authorities immediately stopped serving the meal as soon as the children started vomiting.
The free food was part of a program that gives poor Indian students at least one hot meal a day. It was discovered that the food contained insecticide, which resulted in the death of 22 students and the hospitalisation of dozens, officials said Wednesday.
It was not clear how the chemicals ended up in the food. One official said that the food may not have been washed properly before it was cooked.
For the full story see the National Post.
– Natalija Antic